WD3 Annexe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Napoleonic Skirmish Terrain - Mass Painting WIP

3 posters

Go down

Napoleonic Skirmish Terrain - Mass Painting WIP Empty Napoleonic Skirmish Terrain - Mass Painting WIP

Post  Theo Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:14 am

Hello lads,

On account of the weekend I took out a batch of Spanish buildings I bought ages and ages ago (even before I left the UK which means these have been in storage for at least 7-8 years) and I am going to have a go at painting them en masse. I bought some sprays coming back from work in the hope that these will make the job easier. I suck at painting terrain and I have never done it with sprays before so bear with me (or bare with me if you are pervs like Jeremy! :blah: ). This may be rather cool as a WIP or a total flop. Either way I beg your indulgence. This is certainly not meant as a guide from an expert or any such nonsense. I just thought it would be fun to record my fumblings in the dark plus it will push me to finish this!
We begin with a pic of all the terrain chucked into a huge pile into soapy water :D . A pic of the brave sprays as well! lol
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

LOL!!!

Ok here are the buildings revealed in all their unpainted glory! lol
Lots of stuff needs to be glued on, and it appears parts are broken and will need to be superglued back on. That is what 8 years in storage does I suppose. Oh well bring out the superglue (thank goodness it's the type of resin which with the application of superglue comes together again perfectly)!!!

Theo
Theo
Admin

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 155
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2012-08-16
Τόπος : Thessaloniki

https://warinthessaloniki.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Napoleonic Skirmish Terrain - Mass Painting WIP Empty Re: Napoleonic Skirmish Terrain - Mass Painting WIP

Post  Theo Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 am

ok I assembled everything (more or less; I ran out of superglue and a windmill as well as some bits of walling did not make it into this mass painting thingy) next up I spray painted the main body of the buildings brown and the rooftops red. Perfect accuracy was of course impossible to achieve using these sprays; I suppose one would need an airbrush to do this right. Still the main thing I wanted has been achieved i.e. not spending 5 days priming and basecoating the buggers. Now when I paint them I will just correct the small bits that need correcting.

This is something of a critical stage. If I pick out the right shades to highlight in now this will turn out nice. If not it will be a bleeding tragedy. Some experimenting is in order I reckon.
Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Napoleonic Skirmish Terrain - Mass Painting WIP Empty Re: Napoleonic Skirmish Terrain - Mass Painting WIP

Post  Theo Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:16 am

Did a bit more work on the buildings over the weekend. Not much really, I just gave the walls a drybrush. I didn't take any care with covering any of the red and it looks a bit sloppy and horrid now but I am quite pleased as I can see how it will turn out.

Next up I am going to tidy up the roofs with red and then drybrush with an orange red. Beyond that I will give the doors and windows a drybrush with a ligher wood colour and then embark on some little details. Finally I will do the basing which I expect will really bring these to life and consider the use of some oil washes or indeed another drybrush of a lighter cream colour on parts of the walls to give them a bit of depth. Still quite a bit to do then... Doh! :)

Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:17 am

The first three finished buildings:

The second batch of three more buildings. Only one left now.

Here is the last one:

Last edited by Theo on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Achilleas Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:00 am

a couple of questions; am I correct to presume that these are intended for 18mm? Also which company makes these?

Achilleas
Budding Pervert

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:04 am

These are made by Mainly Military mate. They are ostensibly sold as 15mm but really they are huge in size. More akin to 20mm if anything. Between you and me I wouldn't have trouble using them with 28mm.

If you are interested I can track down the company which now sells them and I could also post a pic of one with a 28mm figure next to it? Just let me know.
Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Achilleas Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 am

that would be awesome! thx Theo!

Achilleas
Budding Pervert

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:43 am

ok mate I snapped a piccy of a Victrix 28mm plastic British flank company officer against the backdrop of one of the buildings. Hope that helps with giving you a relative idea of their size.

And they seem to be sold by the Plastic Soldier Co at the moment. :D
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Theo on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  essex boy Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:55 am

Blimey, Theo, they're huge! Looking good though.

Iain
essex boy
essex boy
Beard Lover

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:57 am

essex boy wrote:Blimey, Theo, they're huge! Looking good though.

Iain

Quite so mate; they are nowhere NEAR 15mm which is what they are sold as. Still I am not complaining! lol
Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  essex boy Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:07 am

Theo wrote:
essex boy wrote:Blimey, Theo, they're huge! Looking good though.

Iain

Quite so mate; they are nowhere NEAR 15mm which is what they are sold as. Still I am not complaining! lol

Well, it gives you plenty of options.

By the way, is it just you and me with nothing to do but surf all day? I must go and do something constructive.

Iain
essex boy
essex boy
Beard Lover

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:24 am

I am sitting on my painting desk painting and the pc is right beside me.

Now that's my defense for being a sadcase and I am sticking with it! :D lol!
Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down