WD3 Annexe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduce yourselves

+23
Mainly28s
Timmo
bangorstu
grizzlymc
Eccles
Buff Orpington
goat major
George K
gagan
Byzantine
jeffski
annied
Peewee
Greystreak
essex boy
WDP
Androklis
Gungnir
valleyboy
JeremyS
Giles
Jon Suth
Theo
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Introduce yourselves Empty Introduce yourselves

Post  Theo Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:54 am

Hello lads,
My name is Theo and I started this forum as a means of gathering all the wargamers of Thessaloniki together in one place. It is my hope that this forum will form a focal point for our activities and help organize and ultimately improve our enjoyment of our great hobby.

I have an interest in many periods such as Napoleonics 15/18mm, Darkest Africa in 28mm and 10mm ancients.

I caught the hobby bug during my time studying in the United Kingdom as have a number of you.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and why not meeting in person as well across a lovely wargaming table.

Welcome aboard everyone! :D

p.s. You may have noticed we have a few international members as well. Those are mates of mine from the UK and other parts of the world and I am sure they will post themselves in time.

FORUM RULES

One might ask what if any rules this forum has.

I don't really believe in setting down a multitude of rules. We are all adults and I am sure we can behave as such.

The only thing I would insist upon is that we all refrain from talk about Politics. This is a place for our hobby and not for political wrangling and hair pulling.

Apart from that there is really only one rule and that is the common sense one i.e. treat the other members the way you would want them to treat you.

Last edited by Theo on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 am; edited 3 times in total
Theo
Theo
Admin

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 155
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2012-08-16
Τόπος : Thessaloniki

https://warinthessaloniki.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Introduce yourselves Empty Re: Introduce yourselves

Post  Jon Suth Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:58 am

Hi all - I'm from the UK, but spend 8-10 weeks a year on Crete running a wargame holidays centre. I dabble in a lot of periods including Indian Mutiny, ACW and FIW in 28mm. I've got large 20mm collections for Normandy and Crete 1941. In 15mm I've got a huge Anglo-Zulu War collection. Have just finished my 28mm pirates collection (a dozen ships etc). Now working on 28mm ancient Greeks and 28mm Rorkes Drift.
Jon Suth
Jon Suth
Budding Pervert

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 19
Τόπος : Norfolk, England - Crete, Greece

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:08 am

Jon is being far too modest; he runs a wonderful wargaming holiday facility in Crete every summer for a couple of months or so. He is also a very prolific painter painting thousands of figures per year.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I had the pleasure of being hosted in Crete and am honoured to call the good fellow and his lovely wife Diane friends.

Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Giles Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm Giles, another UK mate of Theo's. My links to Greece are (1) I've visited Hellas about 15 times over the years and (2) I studied ancient Greek history, art and literature at university. I have been to Thessaloniki, as my first ever trip to Greece was to Halkidiki, when I was about 6 or 7, and we flew into Thessaloniki. I remember visiting Pella and taking a boat trip around Mount Athos. I was fortunate that my parents took me back to Greece every year subsequently until I was 16, and after that I went again a few times with other students. I spent a happy 4 years at university studying ancient Greek and Latin, although my days of reading Thucydides, Euripides and Aeschylus in the original are over and now I often have to resort to translations! Rolling Eyes
Giles
Giles

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 3
Τόπος : Essex, UK

Back to top Go down

Post  JeremyS Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:57 am

Hi All. I'm Jeremy and I also hesitate to be associated with Theo. Shocked

I've been wargaming since 1989 (though I was playing with Matchbox WW2 and building models from a much younger age) I have played just about every period there is at one time or another (except maybe for Crimea... hmmm...). My current favourites are ACW, WW2, Dark Ages, FIW and Napoleonics in 28mm, though I do have most of them in 15mm as well.

My current lead and plastic pile currently stands higher than Theo, though I've taken a vow not to buy any more till I can make a substantial dent in it! Laughing
JeremyS
JeremyS

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  valleyboy Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:50 am

Giles wrote:I'm Giles, another UK mate of Theo's. My links to Greece are (1) I've visited Hellas about 15 times over the years and (2) I studied ancient Greek history, art and literature at university. I have been to Thessaloniki, as my first ever trip to Greece was to Halkidiki, when I was about 6 or 7, and we flew into Thessaloniki. I remember visiting Pella and taking a boat trip around Mount Athos. I was fortunate that my parents took me back to Greece every year subsequently until I was 16, and after that I went again a few times with other students. I spent a happy 4 years at university studying ancient Greek and Latin, although my days of reading Thucydides, Euripides and Aeschylus in the original are over and now I often have to resort to translations! Rolling Eyes

You might be surprised to learn that Theo actually has more than 1 friend Shocked
I'm another mate of Theo's but I live in NZ. I'm afraid to say that I've never been to Greece, mainly because I'd be afraid that I might actually have to meet Theo Laughing

I'm not clever like Giles but I think I can nearly spell thessi.... thisalo, thetha.... err the place where Theo lives and have no idea how to read Greek so I just stick to reading important things like wargames magazines. I love painting figures and my first love is Napoleonics. I want to wish you all the best and hope that Theo's efforts will result in a thriving wargames club that will give you all enjoyment and an opportunity to share ideas and have a good time
Best wishes :cheers:
valleyboy
valleyboy

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 1
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2012-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Gungnir Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:58 am

Hi, I'm Gungnir, sadly also often the subject of Theo's unwanted attentions.

Right now work keeps me a bit off wargaming, but that will change again, I'm sure.

I game Medieval style fantasy in 25mm, Waterloo era Napoleonics in 25mm, ACW, Wild West and WWII skirmish in 1:72 plastics.

I love building scenery, many still running projects can be found at my blog/forum/thingy [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I work as a volunteer for a Dutch foundation which aids the poorest in Native American reservations. One of the way to raise funds is by selling paper building models many of which I design myself. More about that also on the blog.

A long running project, the final proof I'm totally bonkers, is a 1939 Polish armoured train in 1:25 - a running garden train. Yes, it will get finished one day!

Theo, this new forum is a great initiative!
Gungnir
Gungnir
Beard Lover

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 67
Τόπος : Veendam

http://anne.messageboard.nl/29197/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Androklis Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:01 am

Hello!
I am Androklis from Thessaloniki.
I do Napoleonics in 6mm (with my own rules which will be the best rules in the world when I manage to finish them :P) and also boardgames, WWII in 6mm and recently I have started a project for ACW in 10mm.
In the past I did napoleonics in 1/72 & 15mm, WWII in 1/72, ancients in 1/72 and 15mm and other stuff.
I am one of the establishing members of the local wargames club (ESFIPS) and I have been a member of the South East Scotland Wargames Club in Edinburgh and a mercenary painter.

Glad to be here!

Androklis
Beard Lover

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 29

Back to top Go down

Post  WDP Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:45 am

)Hi, I'm William (or Will) from Belgium but I frequently escape the rainy flat lands of my birthplace to the dry mountains of Crete where my parents live. My leadpile contains something from almost every period in history and some fantasy and SF. Like many I've taken a vow to not buy new models before I've painted a decent amount of the unpainted models. Like many I will break that vow at the next wargame show. (Crisis Laughing) For some reason I'm always in Crete when Mr Suth is not but we are not the same person.
WDP
WDP

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:49 am

WDP wrote:)Hi, I'm William (or Will) from Belgium but I frequently escape the rainy flat lands of my birthplace to the dry mountains of Crete where my parents live. My leadpile contains something from almost every period in history and some fantasy and SF. Like many I've taken a vow to not buy new models before I've painted a decent amount of the unpainted models. Like many I will break that vow at the next wargame show. (Crisis Laughing) For some reason I'm always in Crete when Mr Suth is not but we are not the same person.

True dat! I have it on good authority that Jon is much much prettier!!! Razz lol!
Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  essex boy Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:49 am

Hello, I'm Iain from England and I just wanted to pop in to wish the forum well - I'm sure you'll enjoy a long, happy and succesful future.

I play very few wargames but that doesn't stop me from buying toys from all periods and in many scales and sizes (although 20mm probably just edges it over the others). Sadly, I'm the slowest painter in the world and I have very little to show for all the years I've been a wargamer.

All the best

Iain

Ps nice one Theo
essex boy
essex boy
Beard Lover

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Greystreak Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi, I'm Bryce, also living in the UK, originally from Canada. Besides sharing a hobby interest with Theo on other fora, I have a family connection with Hellas, with many visits over the years to my brother and sister-in-law, living first in Corinth, and more recently in Patras. (Work visits to Athens don't count.) I predominantly enjoy collecting and painting Napoleonics, and horse-and-musket periods, but as a 'game'--I play just about anything (and usually do at my local club each fortnight). :D
Greystreak
Greystreak

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Peewee Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Rob and I hail from Wiltshire in the UK. Some of you will know me as Peewee the psychotic Llama on other fora.

Sadly I don't get much time to wargame these days, but do try to keep my eye in with boardgames and such like, and maintain an interest in collecting minis (mainly 15mm c20th stuff of various outlandish periods).

Rob.
Peewee
Peewee
Beard Lover

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 37
Τόπος : Beautiful Wiltshire

Back to top Go down

Post  annied Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:20 am

Hi, my names Annette I found wargaming relatively recently (1996) and came to it originally as a way of keeping my children amused. Alas I too caught the "shiney" bug and took the rest of the family with me and now we game lots of periods and lots of scales. I hope you all have a great time with your new wargaming club.
annied
annied
Queen of WD3

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:15 am

annied wrote:Hi, my names Annette I found wargaming relatively recently (1996) and came to it originally as a way of keeping my children amused. Alas I too caught the "shiney" bug and took the rest of the family with me and now we game lots of periods and lots of scales. I hope you all have a great time with your new wargaming club.

Annie also neglected to say she keeps a real adult wookie of her own at home! She calls it Terry and he is a saintly wooks! Not to mention two lovely junior wookies to fill out the tribe!

Annies' latest portraits: :P :D
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

----

Welcome aboard EB, Bryce and Peewee (watch out for Peewee lads; he is the perviest llama around :D )!
Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peewee Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:55 pm

I really don't know where I've got this pervy reputation from.

Does anyone mind if I remove my trousers for a bit?
Peewee
Peewee
Beard Lover

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 37
Τόπος : Beautiful Wiltshire

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffski Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:46 am

Kalimera!

My name is Jeff. I am from Belgium but live in sunny Aberystwyth in Wales. I lecture International Politics at Aberystwyth University, which happens to be Theo's alma mater. I believe that the place still bears scars of his presence here.

I mainly game in 3mm (ACW, Modern and WWII), 6mm (Ancients, medieval and modern), and very recently in 28mm Napoleonics.
Next project might be WWII Western Front (I have something about Market Garden) in 3mm...after I am done with ALL my 28mm, which will take a while.

jeffski
jeffski
Budding Pervert

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 20

Back to top Go down

Introduce yourselves Empty Hi all

Post  Byzantine Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:01 pm

I'm Giorgos
I'm also from Thessaloniki and i've been a (war)gamer for about 17 years now, although i sometimes still think of myself as a new guy in our club (time does fly).
I kind of paint whenever i get round to it, but i haven't completed anything except for my Warhammer 40k army, which was done many years ago.
Despite that, i'm mostly into historical stuff and mainly boardgames. My favourite period is ww2 but in general i like all periods after 1400 and especially the powdered wigs and lace era.
As for miniatures i've painted a few plastic 1/72 stuff (Great Northern War), 10mm WW2, a few French Zuaves and that's about it. I'm currently trying to find a way to start a Great Northrn War project in the 10mm scale and hopefully i'll be ordering my first Old Glory miniatures by the end of September.

BY the way Jeff i really can't believe i've found a guy who lives and works in Aberystwyth ten years after i left the place!! I studied English Literature in Aberystwyth from 1999 to 2002. How is everything over there? And to think that while i was there i always thought that finding a wargamer in Aberystwyth is like finding a gay Chechen warlord in Saint Troppe!

Byzantine

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 1
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2012-08-27

Back to top Go down

Introduce yourselves Empty gagan

Post  gagan Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:03 am

gia remalia oloi xerete pios eimai lol.
gagan
gagan
Beard Lover

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 30
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2012-08-18

Back to top Go down

Introduce yourselves Empty George

Post  George K Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Well, I'm George, been wargaming, role-playing and beer drinking for some 25 years, also did some re-enactment and airsoft, both of which I wholeheartedly enjoyed and hope to one day take up again as hobbies. I enjoy playing games of any period though my personal interests mostly lie in battles and campaigns taking place in ancient and medieval Europe and Mediterranean. I (think I) have a knack for making up rules and rulesets and am currently writing a book about ancient and medieval battle tactics. The fact that I am a true wargamer rather than a modelist artist like many of you gentlemen including Theo, Dimitris (Gagan) and Androklis, is stressed by my painting experience being limited in 6mm models, which look bearable only as long as the distance between them and your eyes is more than 1-2 feet.
George K
George K

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 7
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  goat major Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi I'm Simon and I've arrived at least 2 months late. Which is typical.

I paint slower than other people who claim to be the slowest painter in the world but when I get round to it I mostly do AWI. Oh and 40k.

Hi :)
goat major
goat major
Beard Lover

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 40
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2012-10-04
Τόπος : Lincoln

http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:19 am

Welcome aboard you sexy beast! Love Wink
Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Buff Orpington Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:20 am

Hi, I'm Dave, known on other fora as Buff Orpington, a frustrated Victorian gentleman adventurer. I'm fortunate enough to be part of a very active gaming club in North Wales and can get a game of something at least once a week. At the moment I'm trying to focus on Dark Age bands for Dux Bellorum while starting to get into the French Indian War while the clock is ticking towards painting up a lot of figures for next year's WD3 Ayton extravaganza. With all that on the list why do I keep wandering off to paint fantasy barbarians?

Buff Orpington

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 9
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2012-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:33 am

Welcome aboard Buff!!

Hey Simon nice new Avatar! I had no idea you were quite so amorously disposed towards goats! Neenahneenah ROFL
Theo
Theo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Eccles Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:48 am

So, is the hamster really dead?

Eccles